It’s not a secret that London is hella expensive. Here are some proofs to make sure we’re on the same page. I paid £10 for an espresso and 3 mini cupcakes, and I mean… teeny tiny mini cupcakes; when in home I can probably buy around 12 regular size cupcakes from a good quality bakery (rolling eyes emoji please!). I paid £5 for snacking a plate of Dutch pancakes with warm Nuttela and icing sugar, take away, in a market, not in a fancy cafe when you can sit down in a comfy sofa with the fastest wifi ever. Another example, £11 for a regular lunch (burger, fries, and lemonade), super basic! Not to mention by the time I was there, more than 1.5 years ago, before all of the Brexit drama, the British Pound Sterling’s still very strong (£ 1 = around IDR 20.000). Now you do the Math!
But the truth is, behind these crazy price tags in London, this hectic city also offers so much free things to do and see. There are still a lot of activities that you can do in London without breaking your bank account. Most of the museums are free to enter, and I tell you, London takes their museums seriously! Sightseeing is also free. For example in Indonesia, if you want to see Borobudur temple you need to buy a ticket to enter the area and see the temple up close, right? In London you can stand as close as possible to the landmark without paying any penny. I mean, I can totally see why London is always flooded with tourists from all around the globe.
If you’re thinking twice about visiting London because it’s so freaking expensive, please don’t. Go ahead because London is simply amazing with so much free things to do. Here are just 20 of them!
1. Admire BIG BEN (both day and night)
2. Try to take a perfect LONDON EYE picture
3. See the TOWER BRIDGE fold up the bridge to let the big ship pass by (usually happen twice a day) or just walk across it
4. Get lost in CAMDEN & STABLES MARKET
5. Meeting dinos at NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM and admire the old building
6. Find PLATFORM 9 ¾ in Kings Cross Station and head to Hogwards
7. Visit BUCKINGHAM PALACE and find out if the Queen’s home (Hint: if the Union Jacks’s flying on top of the Palace, that means the Queen is out!)
8. Find Sherlock Holmes tiles in BAKER STREET TUBE STATION (This is tricky! You need to find the right Tube Line to find it!)
9. Make a phone call (or pretending to) inside a RED TELEPHONE BOX
10. Window shopping in OXFORD STREET
11. Watch the CHANGING GUARDS (watch your wallet as well! Apparently there’re pickpockets)
12. (Maybe) tease the HORSE GUARD
13. Learn history from around the world in the BRITISH MUSEUM
14. Go inside a PRETTY BOOK STORE (it’s called Daunts Books)
15. Drooling at BOROUGH MARKET
16. Find the famous rainbow houses in NOTTING HILL
17. Watch street performers at COVEN GARDEN (Whoops! Ladies, don’t be distracted by the store behind!)
18. Picnic in the PARKS
19. Spot the tallest building in London, THE SHARD
20. Enjoy the night in PICCADILLY CIRCUS
Pin It Please!